Blogs > The Arts Whisperer

Offering a fresh way of helping you keep up with art and entertainment happenings around the Capital District.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Golden Globes

Whenever I watch an awards show on television, I wake up the next morning with a severe case of buyer remorse. This past Sunday's Golden Globe Award show was no exception. What used to be a fun show has turned into a clone of the dull Academy Awards.

I don't care how good your hairdresser is, or how lovable you pet dog can be, they weren't the reason you won the award. Maybe your agent helped, but I don't care about him either. Stop thanking people and talk from the heart. I understand the show got poor ratings - good.

That said, I have to admit, I have seldom been so satisfied with those who won the awards.

"Slumdog Millionaire" is a sensational film. It's a love story, a social documentary and it even has suspense. Though most of it takes place in the slums of India, it is visually beautiful. Danny Boyle who earned his bones with "Trainspotting" does a superior job keeping all the elements tied together and earned his award for Best Director. This is an accessible film that should appeal to all demographics.

As for Heath Ledger's award for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama, no award has ever been more deserving. I've seen "The Dark Knight" twice and his performance gets richer with each viewing. Does anyone know why "The Dark Knight" wasn't up for an award for best film? It's certain to be for the Academy Awards and it will be fun to see the battle between the blockbuster and the small treasure.

I was also pleased with Colin Farrell getting the Best Actor Award for a Comedy or Musical for his work in "In Bruges." However, though the film is often very funny, in a quirky way, it is also a violent film that pushes the definition of comedy. I really liked the film and if you see it and don't want to travel to Bruges on your next vacation, you weren't paying attention. Another happy point. The film was written and directed by Martin McDonagh, my favorite contemporary playwright. I don't want to wish him too much success for fear he'll leave theater.

Finally, I have mixed emotions about the Mickey Rourke award for Best Actor in a Drama for his work in "The Wrestler." I haven't seen the film, but I've heard great things about it. However, I cannot help but think Rourke got a boost by living Hollywood's favorite fairytale - a survivor who staged a comeback. They could have played the theme from "Rocky" instead of Springstein's award-winning song when he picked up the trophy. I've always appreciated Rourke's work - especially in what I thought was my life story "The Diner' - but I fear success might again trigger his self-destructive tendencies. I hope not.

Next up is the Academy Awards and I hate to admit it, but I'll probably watch it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home