Blogs > The Arts Whisperer

Offering a fresh way of helping you keep up with art and entertainment happenings around the Capital District.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

welcome back

It's been over a year since my last post and the personal issues that have kept me away from the Arts Whisperer blog have past - rather sadly. On March 5, 2010 my wife of 45 years died of ALS (better known as Lou Gehrig's Disease). She was diagnosed in January 2009 and the 14 months she fought her brave fight was one of the most important and meaningful periods of my life. Her courage was the stuff of great plays and if I ever find the energy and will to fight that blank page her strength might be the inspiration for my own play.

During a time like this you come to realize the importance of the things you shared as a couple. Beyond family, friends and work, the dominant interest in our life was theater. When we met, we both lived in NYC and Broadway was our love. It became a benchmark for our life. Our first date was "Stop the World I Want to Get Off" starring Anthony Newley. The day we bought her engagement ring at the diamond center in New York City, we attended a matinee of "Oliver." We announced our engagement to my family having drinks at the Edison Hotel after seeing "Here's Love" (a musical version of "Miracle on 34th Street). In our married life we attended at least50 plays a year together. Over 45 years that's well over 2,000 plays we shared.

Reviewing theater while Carole was ill kept me functioning. It helped bring the outside world to her as I shared my experience with her when I came home from a show. Somehow those personal reviews kept us connected to our shared obsession. I think the experience made me a better observer as I wanted her to see the show through my eyes without feeling she missed anything.

It is my hope that these insights have found their way into my writing for The Record. I further hope they will be find release as I return to the Arts Whisperer blog.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home