Blogs > The Arts Whisperer

Offering a fresh way of helping you keep up with art and entertainment happenings around the Capital District.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

expectatons

One of the great experiences of being a reviewer is going to a show you are certain you will dislike and having a good time. That happened to me this week with the musical "The Addams Family" that continues at Proctors Theatre in Schenectady through Sunday Were I not reviewing the show there is no way I would have attended the production. Indeed, I've successfully avoided the show in NYC for over a year.
I still don't think the show is great, but as I said in my review it has a great cast who makes average material seem better than it is. Thanks to great comic timing from the cast even lines you can see coming for miles were funny. And, to give credit where credit is due, some lines are extremely witty and unexpected.
The point is that with theater reviewing - as in life - don't prejudge. Always have an open mind and experience things for what they are - not what you want them to be. "The Addams Family" is true to itself and doesn't strive to be great art. It was designed to entertain not to enlighten.
And, it is very entertaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home